Trekkers' Information Management System (TIMS) has been implemented jointly by Nepal Tourism Board (NTB) and Umbrella organization of Trekking Agencies TAAN ( Trekking Agencies' Association of Nepal) to ensure safety and security of trekkers and to control illegal trekking operations.
Nepal’s tourism begins new database system of all trekkers called TIMS ( Trekkers Information Management System ) from the beginning of the new year 2008.Since then, the Trekking Agencies Association of Nepal (TAAN) and Nepal Tourism Board (NTB) started recording trekkers’ details and began issuing TIMS Card to trekkers.
Trekking Trail Nepal will be asked to fulfill personal information of trekkers like your passport numbers, nationality and their contact address with their 3 passport size photo. The data will be uploaded in visitors’ database which can be accessed in case of accidents and/or natural calamities in order to inform the concerned institutions about the number of trekkers inside selected trekking area.
TIMS Card -Trekkers' Information Management System for Trekking in Nepal is Important
- All important details of trekkers and trekking routes shall be maintained on a computerized Database Management System that may be useful for safety and security of trekkers. In order to help carry out search and rescue operations for trekkers in the case of natural calamities and other accidents by means of Authentic Information Service.
- Past experiences have revealed that difficulties were seen while carrying out rescue operations during times of accidents and natural calamities. As a result, TIMS will manage proper records of trekking guest, their trekking area, trekking duration, trekking routes and trekking staffs of the company. While it also helps on rescue and search missions used to face difficulties in spotting the missing trekkers.
- Based on the data collected through TIMS cards, however, it will be possible to know the position of a trekker in case a rescue operation is needed.
- TIMS implementation help to control to control illegal trekking operators and unauthorized tourism company. Hence this system will help all concerned, Trekkers, legal agencies, Field staffs, Government also ensure safety and security of the trekkers in general trekking areas through the mechanism of Prompt Information Service as and when required.
- TIMS help to maintain the record system includes trekkers personal details, trekking region, trekking trail they use, handling agencies, duration, etc. As a result, data generated from the system will be useful to all stakeholders as the tourism industry, Government, diplomatic missions, trekking agencies, research institute etc.
- TIMS help to upgrade the service standard and contribute to better management of sustainable tourism development of Nepal.
TIMS Card -Trekkers' Information Management System for Trekking in Nepal Regulatory
- Every trekker has to compulsorily obtain a TIMS Card before they enter any of the prescribed trekking regions and routes.
- TIMS has to be shown to TAAN / NTB authorities, national park check posts, conservation area check posts and police check posts on demand.
- Trekkers are required to keep their copies of passports along with them for verification during using trekking trail.
- TIMS shall be non-transferable, non-endorsable and valid only for single entry.